Job Posted: 12th July 2022
Location: Bridge of Weir, Scotland
This role will require close collaboration with our production operations, technical teams, associated quality functions, sales & account management teams & our customers to ensure the delivery of a robust laboratory management system.
Being part of the management team, the role of Laboratory Manager is to ensure that the Laboratory operation fully meets the product testing requirements of the Company’s customers. To ensure that all testing & validation of products to technical specifications meet the defined quality standards & systems required & that the laboratory personnel perform to the best of their abilities. You will play a key role in the management of the Laboratory Team, with safety first, “best in class” expertise & providing an environment that supports continuous improvement to ensure that we achieve our manufacturing & sustainability ambitions.
- To ensure laboratory staff carry out relevant product batch testing in a timely manner
- To authorise and specify rework operations, ensuring suitable re-testing is performed
- To organise relevant training and development of staff skills to cover all test requirements and meet personal expectations.
- To ensure that all test equipment is maintained, calibrated & is fit for purpose
- To keep abreast of new test equipment developments & techniques
- To assist in specialist projects, as required, helping with problem solving & investigating quality / laboratory issues. This may involve analysing, reporting or advising senior management on technical & quality matters
- Liaise with suppliers and customers on relevant matters when required.
- To achieve group compliance & migrate group laboratory systems to ISO17025
- Ensure that company procedures & processes are adhered to & improved upon in line with requirements for IATF16949, AS9100, ISO9001 & ISO17025 or others as defined by the business.
- To lead investigations & developments both internally & with our customers to independently verify performance & ensure technical dialogue with our customers on R&D & product investigations.
- Management & allocation of appropriate Laboratory resource both proactive (continuous improvement) & reactive (containment).
- Management & reporting to Business stakeholders on Laboratory performance through data analysis (Statistical analysis, Minitab, PowerBI) & developing the LIMS system to ensure fit with the QMS systems.
- Deliver & develop accurate relevant KPI metrics to enhance laboratory / product quality performance.
- Responsible for data gathering & analysis, problem solving, project management & delivering meaningful & relevant presentation events.
- Effectively uses external networks to identify best practices & use this to drive improvements within all operations; from Tanning through Dyeing & Finishing, Cutting & Final Inspection.
- Presents, facilitates & co-ordinates assigned Laboratory / Quality events.
- Training - Development & PDR management of Laboratory team members.
- Communicate internally & externally on laboratory / quality / business performance.
- Ensuring Health, Safety, Environmental & employee Wellbeing is achieved.
- Compliance with all legal & statutory requirements pertaining to Quality & Laboratory operations.
- Work across functions to ensure product quality performance.
- Delivery of a robust Laboratory / Quality Management System within production operations.
- Management & development of the Laboratory team.
- Role model leadership behaviours which promotes excellence & shapes the company culture.
- Promote employee engagement through timely two-way communications regarding business performance activities & initiatives.
- Progression of a succession & personnel development plan for the Laboratory.
- Adjudge internal & external risk factors (product / processes / practices).
- Management of change.
- Policies - all legal & statutory requirements by department. Whilst living the Company values and promoting health, safety and wellbeing, provide clear vision and leadership to the Team, as well as inspire, motivate and coach to help them develop new skills and support succession planning
- Promote employee engagement through timely two-way communications, particularly delivering on key actions identified during employee engagement surveys
- Recruitment and selection of staff when required with the support of HR
- The performance management of employees when required with the support of HR
- A degree in a related discipline.
- Communication – clear, concise and confident.
- Leadership – can engage stakeholders and demonstrates a passion for excellence.
- Internal ISO/IATF auditor
- Problem solving – seeks valid information to solve and eliminate issues.
- Results orientated – focuses upon the drivers that affect results, takes responsibility.
- Previous experience of operating within a senior level role within laboratory operations.
- Experience with statistical analysis, work measurement & process analysis.
- Programme & project management skills.
- Experience of developing & implementing meaningful KPI’s, targeting key areas of improvement, enabling the ability to celebrate success.
- Experience of dealing with Customers & Suppliers.
Key Competencies Required
- Being an exemplary role model and taking the lead in promoting and living our values
- Establishes norms of behaviour (from the shadow he/she casts) for the team and takes appropriate actions if they are broken
- Invests in Personal Development
- Is self-aware and authentic
- Is open to feedback
Develop your People
- Develops, empowers and motivates teams and individuals
- Drives employee engagement
- Translates strategy, creating a positive vision
- Inspires while managing change
Drives for results
- Delivers against targets in a way which is fast, agile and in line with our company values
Clear, concise, consistent and relevant for individual situations and understands, manages, and clarifies expectations
- Recognises where problems may arise and suggests preventative measures
- Operations Managers
- Technical Management
- Quality Team
- Commercial & Sales Managers
- Finance Team
- Colour Team
- Cutting Team
How to Apply
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org